Tuesday 23 February 2016

National Eating Disorders Awareness Week

The last week of February every year is deemed National Eating Disorders Awareness week. During this week, organizations, clubs, work places and schools try to educate people about eating disorders and prevent them. About 20 million women and 10 million men suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their lifetime, and 4 out of every 10 people have suffered or know someone who has suffered from an eating disorder. That's right, anyone at any age can get an eating disorder.  These include anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, or an eating disorder not otherwise specified.

So what are anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder?
Anorexia is considered a psychiatric disorder characterized by an unrealistic fear of weight gain, self-starvation, and conspicuous distortion of body image. Patients starve themselves because they see a number as determining their self worth. This can lead to death in the most severe cases.
Bulimia is also life threatening and very dangerous. The person will consume large amounts of food then try to rid themselves of the food or calories by purging, excessive exercise, fasting or  laxatives. Bulimia results from an excessive concern about weight control and self-image.
Binge Eating Disorder is similar to bulimia, but without the excessive exercise, vomiting, fasting or use a laxatives. A person will eat excessive amounts of food in one sitting. The person will eat uncontrollably, eat when not feeling hungry,  or eat when the are feeling down, depressed, sad or bored.

Treatment for such eating disorders can cost up to about $1000 a day if sent to an inpatient clinic. Treatment often includes seeing a doctor regularly, receiving psychiatric or psychological help, seeing therapists like an art or music therapist, and seeing a dietitian. This network of support can really help a person get back on their feet and get them to a healthier relationship with foods

I am really passionate about helping those with eating disorders, not only because of me being a nutrition student and learning about them, or being the Vice President of my university's chapter of Project Heal ( A nonprofit organization which raises awareness and money to send patients to receive the treatment they need and that the insurance will not cover), but also because I suffered from an eating disorder when I was in high school. I saw my weight as something that determined my self-worth and ability to be an athlete, which ended up getting in the way of me being an athlete. I went from 149 to weighing 106 pounds in 3 months.  I had to see a doctor regularly to check up on my progress, talk to a therapist to get to the root of my problem and see my true self worth and loving who I am, and had to visit a dietitian regularly to help with my relationship with food. That is where I was inspired to become a dietitian; she made me feel so welcome, accepted, and comfortable. I wanted and was willing to change my lifestyle and work with others to change theirs. I like to workout and eat right, but still like to treat myself with goodies that mom and dad like to make. I am now 5 years free of an eating disorder and am accepting of myself and my flaws. That's what makes me unique and what makes me beautiful.

Eating disorders are a serious thing and can be tough to deal with. But loving yourself and not listening to what the media says is the perfect body type or if we should have a thigh gap or not  (definitely not), can lead to your success and being able to help others succeed.

 
 
 


For more information about eating disorders, here are some good sites to look at-
http://theprojectheal.org/


http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

http://www.eatright.org/resource/health/diseases-and-conditions/eating-disorders/understanding-eating-disorders

No comments:

Post a Comment