Monday 3 October 2016

Nutritious Eating Tip and a Recipe Too!

My days have gotten to be really busy, especially with classes, tutoring, and clinical hours. But just because my days are busy, does not mean that I can skimp on making nutritious and delicious dinners for myself. There are tons of recipes out there for all different types of eating, especially those high calorie, high fat ones that may taste great and are easy, but really hurt the waistline. To combat this, I like to do a little substitution of the high fat and calorie ingredients for ones that are nutrient dense. I recently did that with a recipe I found on Pinterest that I was going to share with my  nutritious and filling meal for all.

If you're trying to lose weight, or watch what you eat, I highly recommend you try to substitute the energy dense foods, for the nutrient dense options. For example, instead of using sour cream in a recipe, try Greek Yogurt, instead of whole milk - try low fat or fat free milk, make all your grains whole grains, choose leaner cuts of meats instead of high fat ones, bake your foods instead of frying them, and choose fresh, in-season fruits and vegetables instead of frozen, canned or out of season vegetables! These simple changes can help you to eat cleaner and eat more nutritious foods, without sacrificing flavors.
Below is the recipe from the dinner I made last week and the substitutions I made. I also roasted Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts with Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, and Parmesan at 400 degree for 45 minutes.

Oven Roasted Smoked Sausage and Potatoes


Ingredients1 package of smoked sausage, sliced into rounds
1 large onion, peeled and chopped5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes
olive oil
fine sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
sweet paprika
dried thyme
a handful of greated strong cheddar cheese
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400*F. Line a large baking tray (with sides) with several sheets of foil, and spray with cooking spray. Set aside. Put the sausage rounds, onions, and potatoes into a large bowl. Drizzle with a couple TBS of olive oil and season to taste with salt, pepper, paprika and dried thyme. Toss together with your hands until everything is evenly distributed. Pour this out onto the baking tray, and spread it out as much as you can. Place into the heated oven and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until the potatoes are golden brown and tender. Turn off the oven. Scatter the cheese over top of the cooked meat and potatoes, Pop back into the oven a few minutes to melt the cheese
SUBSTITUTIONS I MADE- I used smoked lite turkey kielbasa with low sodium instead of regular kielbasa to cut fat and sodium down which can cause bloating and is good for those who have hypertension.  I also substituted Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar cheese to cut down on fat.

Displaying IMG_2455.JPG  Displaying IMG_2456.JPGDisplaying IMG_2457.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment