Sunday 19 February 2017

Tomato Soup-Just Like Mom's But Easier!

Do you ever get that craving for some homemade tomato soup on a chilly February night? Well, I did last week! I was craving a grilled cheese with tomato soup, but I was not going to settle for any old canned tomato soup. I wanted the real thing! Instead of hopping on Pinterest, I actually made this recipe up myself! It was super easy and tasty, especially if you like a little chunky cream of tomato soup.

I started by taking out a large stock pot and melting 1/3 cup of butter with 2 cloves of minced garlic and one chopped shallot. I was going to use a little onion, but I really enjoy the complex flavor of shallots, and I had one sitting in my pantry ready to use! Let the butter melt down and start to brown the garlic and shallots until they are fragrant. Once browned and fragrant, add in a 28oz can of diced tomatoes and a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes. Stir and let simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. When the 20 minutes are up, add in salt and pepper to taste, and 1 cup of heavy cream. Let the soup simmer for 10 more minutes, and serve with grated parmesan on top.

 I did't have any cheese to make a grilled cheese so I made two little garlic toasts to accompany the soup. Super easy and very tasty! This recipe would also be really good for meal prep too!

No comments:

Post a Comment