Thursday 9 February 2017

Who am I and what is The Road to Being an RD?


Since I originally started this blog, the following has increase substantially and I thought it was time to reintroduce myself, talk about this blog, what my objectives are and what is in store for the future!

A little bit of history-

I started to become interested in nutrition and dietetics back when I was in ninth grade. I developed an eating disorder and was sent to seen a dietitian to help with my food habits and intake. From the minute I walked into her office, I felt so at ease and was so intrigued with everything she had to say to me. I looked forward to my meetings with her every other week and worked really hard on my own nutrition to make me healthier. After I finished sessions with her, I expressed to my parents how much I was interested in nutrition and what a dietitian does. I was able to go in and shadow her for a day, which was one of the most enlightening experiences ever. I met with diabetes patients and bariatric surgery patients, heard their stories and goals, and helped them plan their success. Through connections with my mom's work, I was able to meet up with a dietitian from the county Office of Youth and Aging. She is such an inspiring woman who has such a passion for nutrition and helping people. She gave me more exposure to the community side of nutrition and nutrition education. I worked with her at her office over summer on senior citizen farmer's market coupons, meals on wheel, and building community relations which could lead to more outreach programs. 

When it came time for me to start deciding on where I wanted to go to school, I focused on schools that have Coordinated Programs in Nutrition and Dietetics. Dietetics degrees are broken down into two programs, the Coordinated Program and Didactic Programs in Dietetics. Both lead to a degree in dietetics, but the Coordinated Program lets you do your 1200 hours of supervised practice in your junior and senior year to make you eligible to sit for your credentialing exam right after graduation. A didactic program has you finish your degree, then after graduation, apply to a national pool of internships (which has a 50% match rate), get matched and then go do the supervised practice. Upon completion of the supervised practice, they are then eligible to sit for their credentialing exam. Marywood University is one of the top schools in the US for health professionals and has one of the top dietetic programs. Marywood was a perfect fit from the moment I stepped on campus. I applied and got in and I absolutely love it. The class size is perfect, the facilities are state-of-the-art, and the professors are top notch. The first two years of schooling are mostly general education classes that the university requires, with some classes within your major. I took a Basic Foods Lab, Social and Cultural Foods, Food Science, Computers in Dietetics, Nutrition I, Life Cycle Nutrition, Nutrition Education, and Food Science. All of these classes were great bases for what is covered in the junior and senior year, which is when the course load is more intensive. The beginning of the second semester of sophomore year was when applications and interviews happened for the Coordinated Program, and I was one of the ten students selected, of those who applied, to be a part of the program. Junior Fall began supervised practice rotations at a community nutrition setting and a food service setting. Classes corresponded with what we were doing at our sites which made learning what to do so much more fun. Sports nutrition was also part of the curriculum for the semester, which really intrigued me. Junior Spring is mostly nutrition classes as well, like Medical Nutrition Therapy, Research in Dietetics, and Food Service Management II, with rotations in Food Service Management. 

Future Plans
After I graduate next May, I plan on studying for my credentialing exam, applying to grad school and looking for a job. I am really interested in sports nutrition and how proper nutrition can effect how someone performs in a competitive setting, so I am planning on getting my Master's Degree in Exercise Science. This will help me better understand how the body uses energy to fuel itself and what needs to be done to increase performance. From there I will work my way up through the ranks and hopefully achieve a position with a professional athletic team or work for a college as their sports dietitian.

What Brings Me to Blogging?
Well, I started this blog, technically, back in April of 2015 with a brief introduction post and overview of nutrition and wellness. However, I did not really start blogging much until the winter/spring of last year. I was kind of bored one day, so I picked it up and just started! I like to talk about what ever comes to my mind that day, or I ask my mom for some help with ideas. I try to make each post a little different, and to not repeat topics or areas twice in a row. That's why you really won't see two blog posts back to back talking about a recipe. I want to appeal a wide variety of audiences, give you new information that you may not be able to find anywhere, and debunk some myths. 

What's in-Store?
I want to continue to offer a wide variety of articles, covering many topics. I want to keep trying new recipes and posting my results and how it tasted for you guys, and maybe do makeovers of old classic recipes. Eating clean doesn't have to taste bad! I hope to also offer more series posts pertaining to  different topics, like heart health, diabetes, meal prep, and more. I also want to do a few posts featuring a guest blogger! There is a lot in store for The Road to Being an Rd, and the possibilities are endless. I am always open to suggestions and working to cater to your needs and interests. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment